- Choro originated in 19th century Rio de Janeiro.
- ‘Roda’ is pronouced with a silent ‘R’…‘hoda’.
- Choro has its roots in both European and African musical traditions.
- Carioca is the name for inhabitants of Rio de Janeiro. The name comes from the indigenous word for ‘white man’s house’.
- Rio de Janeiro was the capital of the Portuguese empire from 1815-22.
- Brazil obtained an estimated 35% of all enslaved Africans traded in the Atlantic slave trade.
Tudo bem? ~ How are you?
Muito bem! ~ Very well!
Eu amo choro! ~ I love choro!